October 29, 2008

I've Converted to Nocturnalism

Nocturnalism: noc·tur·nal·is·m [nok-tur-nl-izm] - noun, the antitheistic religion of the night; belief in the practices of the shadows with a foundation in the twilight ceremonies; faith in the after hours; the dusk creed.
        
We just turned our clocks back an hour last week, so now the sun sets at 4:30pm! And when I say sets, I mean it's pitch black outside by 5:00pm. This totally throws my whole internal body clock off. Oh and the darker it gets here, the colder it gets. Yesterday I came home around 4pm, made myself a snack, snuggled under my covers and watched Garfield's Halloween (don't judge). I was asleep within minutes. I woke up at 10:00pm and thought to myself "now what do I do?" So I started doing work. Around 1:30am I started to get hungry... so I made dinner. I was up until about 3:30am doing work.
        
Just because I go to bed so late doesn't have any effect on what time I get up. I still woke up this morning at 9:00am and started to do work. And I'm not really getting any less sleep - it's just spread out now. It's like every day is really two days for me. The sunsets at 4:30pm, my bedtime is 5:00pm and my wake-up time is 10:00pm. Then my second bedtime is around 4:00am and my second wake-up time is 9:00am. So I don't have 365 days this year... I have 730 days! I'm always complaining that there aren't enough days in the week to get everything done that I want - well now I've doubled my weeks!  
        
I do love being a night owl. Staying up past 2:30am puts you into a whole other world where it is just you and the dark, silent stillness of the night. It's like that secret hiding spot you had as a kid that no one else knew about. It's when I get my best writing done - when I'm hiding in this other world - this latenight world. Being Nocturnal is not easy. It takes work to stay awake when your body, the moon, and society are telling you to sleep. But once you reach that point, it's like finding the second star to the right, and then I just go straight on 'til morning.  

No comments: