September 21, 2008

Spitting out Shakespeare

Last night, my parents and I went to the Royal Lyceum Theatre to see Shakespeare's MacBeth, complete with authentic Scottish accents. We sat in the first row, dead center - couldn't ask for better seats. The actress who played Lady MacBeth was sincerely maniacal! What an outstanding performance! It was the perfect combination of a title-hunting, blood-thirsty seductress plagued by absolute insanity. I was sure I'd have nightmares starring her.
        
You know the old saying about great seats at the theatre that goes: we sat so close we could see the actors spit... well, our seats must have been marked off as the Splash Zone at Sea World. You haven't seen an actor spit until you've seen a Scottish actor spit. I mean, the Scots invented spitting (they invented everything else). I couldn't help but think of the episode of "Friends" where Joey and Professor Remus are doing a WWII scene and spitting all over each other.
        
There was a great sword fighting scene between MacBeth and MacDuff, where each man had two swords, one in each hand, and they moved about the whole stage spinning, dodging, climbing and ducking. It was impressive choreography and a magnificent sight to see. Not to mention that the theatre itself was a work of art; a beautiful crystal chandelier at the center of the high dome ceiling. I'm sure I'll be going back to the Lyceum again considering it's great performances, extremely cheap concessions, and close proximity to my flat.  

The Royal Lyceum Theatre Ceiling

No comments: