December 27, 2008

Things I've learned from television (and the internet):

Today I learned a very interesting bit of trivia while watching television. I had no idea that LFO's second hit "I Fell in Love with the Girl on TV" was about Jennifer Love Hewitt. Thanks VH1 marathons! That's one thing I miss while living abroad - the luxury of just plopping in front of the television and watching VH1 or TLC marathons. I mean, thank goodness for torrents, but it's just not the same.

While we are on the topic of being random... I've been wondering what is so fantastic that Trenton makes, that the world is so compelled to take??? I've driven past that bridge so many times. It makes it sound like Trenton is the center of the universe... and trust me - it's not. So my curiosity got the better of me and I googled "Trenton, NJ history" and aside from re-discovering that Trenton was briefly our nation's capital for two months in 1784 (whoops, sorry Mrs. McLaughlin, but I've pushed APUSH facts aside to make room for pop culture facts... because they are much more fun and therefore easier to remember), one website gave me the answer I was looking for.
        
TrentonNJ.com says: "Trenton was a major manufacturing center in the late 1800s and early 1900s; one relic of that era is the slogan 'Trenton Makes, the World Takes' displayed on the Lower Free Bridge just north of the Trenton-Morrisville Toll Bridge (the 'Trenton Makes Bridge'). The city adopted the slogan in the 1920s to represent Trenton's then-leading role as a major manufacturing center for steel, rubber, wire, rope, linoleum and ceramics."  
        
Please take note of the use of "then-leading" - translation: Trenton has not done anything since 1920, except give birth to Jon Stewart and Troy Vincent. Go Birds!     

No comments: